Friday, January 06, 2006

Requiem

Due to uncontrollable circumstances, I was absent at the funeral today.

This was the day set aside to honor the life of and to inter the corruptible body of my great-uncle. I am saddened I was unable to be in attendance at the official ceremony, in addition to the substantial pain his leaving gives me. He was truly a “great” uncle in more than one sense.

I am grateful to be able to say in his honor, however, that the “remains” buried today are not all he left in this world. What remains of him here is his influence on his city, on his family, on everyone who knew him. That influence, so generously bestowed on me as well as many others, cannot be categorized as anything but wonderful.

We miss him, and will embrace his memory until we are with the rest of him again.

No comments: