Saturday, September 09, 2006

Anyone for Tennis?

I just watched the US Open Championship between Maria Sharapova and Justine Henin-Hardenne. Wow.
A close and spectacular competition filled with amazing shots. I mean, wow.

A couple of things, though… Sharapova played through (and won) the game wearing a thin gold chain and pendant around her neck, with a pair of low-hanging earrings to boot. Why in the world would anyone subject herself to that during a championship? I take my watch off for serious air-hockey games just so I won’t have the shift of metal against my epidermal sensory neurons to distract from the feel of the table and of the instrument in my hand. I can only imagine the infuriating distraction of a lobe-dangler bopping my cheek during a dash for the ball or a good swipe with the catgut.

But, of course, the most important thing to discuss about the tennis world is the assortment of commercials. For, while the Super Bowl advert is dead as a source for effective comedic writing, the spirit of brilliant humor thrives on alongside these televised racketeers. Honestly, I enjoyed my viewing all the way around.

No comments: